Asikkala

The municipality of Asikkala is located at the heart of Päijät-Häme, in between Lake Päijänne and Lake Vesijärvi.

Asikkala is already mentioned in historical sources as a separate administrative parish in 1445. The municipality was founded in 1868. Several Stone Age dwelling sites, so-called Lapp cairns from the Bronze Age and Iron Age cemeteries have been found in Asikkala. The oldest villages are mentioned in sources from the mid-14th century.

Asikkala is an old potato and flax-growing locality and a historic market site. The Anianpelto Fair was held on for the first time in the early 18th century, and this two-day event is still held in August. Anianpelto was for a long while the terminus of water transport on Lake Päijänne, with goods being carried from there by horse to Porvoo on the Gulf of Finland. A significant improvement to communications by water in the regions was the construction of the Vääksy of Lake Vesijärvi canal in 1868-1871 across the isthmus of Vääksy. In 1878 the Kalkkinen canal expanded the ship routes of Lake Päijänne towards the east.

Asikkala also has long traditions with regard to summer residents. There were originally several summer villas in the vicinity of the canal, of which the former summer residence of State Counsellor J.R. Danielson-Kalmari still remains.

In Asikkala there are both local and national cultural attractions.

Asikkalan kunta- Municipality of Asikkala (in Finnish)

Locations

Get directions
Show on map
Museums
 
Churches
 
Cultural Environments
Relics
Exhibitions
 
Reset the map